Workshop Statistics: Discovery with Data, Second Edition

Topic 9: Correlation Coefficient

Activity 9-1: Properties of Correlation

Click here to see the solutions for the Minitab version or here for parts (a) and (b) for the Graphing Calculator version.
(a)-(b)

strongly positive

mildly positive

virtually none

mildly negative

strongly negative
letter:
B
F
I
E
C
H
A
G
D
r
(c) largest: 1;  smallest: -1
(d) Correlations of 1 or -1 occur when the observations pairs form a straight line.
(e) A positive correlation indicates a positive association.  A negative correlation indicates a negative association
(f) Correlation values near + 1 are strong, while values near 0 are weak.
(g) There appears to be a strong association.
(h) r = .257;  This value seems to indicate a relatively weak positive relationship.  This is not consistant with our answer for (g).  This happened because r measures the strength of the linear association. While these variables are clearly related, they are not linearly related.
(i) r = .507;  This indicates a moderate positive association, though one would not guess this from the scatterplot.

Activity 9-2: Monopoly Prices

(a)

Answers will vary from student to student, but looks quite strong to me so r should be close to 1.
(b) r = .994
(c)
Boardwalk price
Boardwalk rent
actual correlation
(d) The correlation coefficient is not a resistant measure of association.  A single change in the data can have a drastic effect on r.

Activity 9-3: Cars' Fuel Efficiency (cont.)

(a)
model
weight
z-score
city MPG
z-score
product
Chevrolet Corvette
Saturn SC
(b) r = -.816
(c) Most of the cars with negative weight z-scores have positive city MPG z-scores.  A strong negative association means that most positive z-score values of one variable will correspond to negative z-score values of the other variable, and vice-versa.

Activity 9-4: Televisions and Life Expectancy

(a) fewest: United States - 1.3;  most: Haiti - 234
(b)
        There appears to be a negative association between the two variables.  The countries with higher life expectancies have less people per TV.
(c) r = -.804
(d) Many factors affect life expectancy, e.g., wealth of the nation.  Most of them are most likely more influential than the number of people per TV.
(e) No, other factors could be influencing the apparent association.
(f) Answers will vary from student to student, but some possibilities are technological advancements of the country, wealth of the country, medicinal advancements of the country.

Activity 9-5: Guess the Correlation

Answers will vary from student to student.
(f) r  would be one.
(g) r would still be one.
(h) A correlation of r does not necessarily indicate perfect guessing as shown in (f) and (g).  Thus, the correlation coefficient isn't the best way to determine the best guesser.
Note: These are the answers to (h), (i), and (j) in the Minitab version.